The first class of Journalism Health Care Fellows in a partnership sponsored by the National Library of Medicine and the Association of Health Care Journalists (AHCJ) has been selected and will meet with physicians and researchers at NLM and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) during a weeklong visit to the NIH campus, September 13-17, 2009.
The Fellows will receive hands-on training in the use of NLM databases, such as PubMed, MedlinePlus, ClinicalTrials.gov, TOXNET and the Household Products Database. They will also meet with senior NLM and NIH researchers and officials for information sessions on such topics as diabetes, infectious disease, health disparities, and personalized medicine.
The AHCJ/NLM Fellows are:
- John Fauber, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Lynya Floyd, Essence Magazine
- Jeff Hansel, Rochester, Minnesota Post-Bulletin
- Douglas Podolsky, Consumer Reports
- Shari Rudavsky, The Indianapolis Star
- Heidi Splete, Global Medical News Network